Did you know that Juneteenth is the “longest-running African American holiday” yet many people are unaware of the day and its significance? According to The New York Times more than 60% of Americans know “nothing at all” or only “a little bit” about Juneteenth.
This year to commemorate the Juneteenth holiday we have asked our U.S. Managers to share the history behind Juneteenth with their teams, and to play a video we created of the Juneteenth poem by Noah Griffin that was recited by an employee of Sims Limited.
If you are not already familiar with Juneteenth, we have gathered some information and a few useful links on how you can celebrate and recognize this holiday.
- Listen to Juneteenth, a poem by Noah Griffin in the video linked below, which was recited by our very own Eric Jones, sr. graphic designer at Sims Limited.
- Sing along to the Black national anthem, Lift Every Voice and Sing
- Watch this video about the history of Juneteenth and its significance
- Learn about the path to freedom from the Alexandria Black History Museum
- Support Black-owned businesses. The US Chamber of Commerce offers a list of Black-owned small business directories, such as the Black Business Green Book — an online directory searchable by state or retail category
- Explore a museum dedicated to Black culture. Immerse yourself in Black art and culture at the Studio Museum in Harlem, the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C., the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, or the Northwest African American Museum in Seattle, to name a few. These museums have virtual components, as well as online exhibits.
View Video of Poem Recitation
For more information, please visit the official Juneteenth website.
Learn more about our Commitment to DEI at Sims Limited.